Sunday, October 30, 2016

 

Starting All Over Again

Goethe, Italian Journey (Rome, December 20, 1786; tr. W.H. Auden and Elizabeth Mayer):
Though I expected really to learn something here, I never thought I should have to start at the bottom of the school and have to unlearn or completely relearn so much. But now I have realized this and accepted it, I find that the more I give up my old habits of thought, the happier I am. I am like an architect who wanted to erect a tower and began by laying a bad foundation. Before it is too late, he realizes this and deliberately tears down all that he has built so far above ground. He tries to enlarge and improve his design, to make his foundations more secure, and looks forward happily to building something that will last.

Ich dachte wohl hier was Rechts zu lernen; daß ich aber soweit in die Schule zurückgehen, daß ich so viel verlernen, ja durchaus umlernen müßte, dachte ich nicht. Nun bin ich aber einmal überzeugt und habe mich ganz hingegeben, und je mehr ich mich selbst verleugnen muß, desto mehr freut es mich. Ich bin wie ein Baumeister, der einen Turm aufführen wollte und ein schlechtes Fundament gelegt hatte; er wird es noch beizeiten gewahr und bricht gern wieder ab, was er schon aus der Erde gebracht hat, seinen Grundriß sucht er zu erweitern, zu veredeln, sich seines Grundes mehr zu versichern, und freut sich schon im voraus der gewissem Festigkeit des künftigen Baues.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?